Commerce Paesano's shuts down
After multiple warnings regarding their business tax liability, Paesano's Italian Restaurant, located across Highway 50 from Memorial Stadium, was forcibly shut down on Feb. 10 by the Texas State Comptroller.
Spokesman for the Comptroller's office R.J. DeSilva said Feb. 10 was not the first time they had contact with the owners of the restaurant.
"After we do all the steps of contacting the owner and trying to get the liability that is owed paid off, we will then do a full seizure of the business," he said.
After failed attempts to meet deadlines to pay the owed amount, Paesano's was closed, restricting them from running any kind of business until the debt is taken care of.
"The seizure of Paesano's Italian Restaurant was for sales tax that was owed," DeSilva said.
DeSilva did not disclose the amount of the liability.
Shortly after the restaurant closed, a ‘for sale' sign was placed in front of the building under Century 21 real estate agent Joanna Arnwine's listings.
"The property has actually been on the market for several weeks," Arnwine said. "We just did not want to put the sign out while the business was still operating because often times a ‘for sale' sign leads consumers to believe the facility is no longer in business."
Arnwine said the property is only a ‘short-term listing' and would not give any further comment.
Interim City Manager Marc Clayton was not sure of the details of the closing of Paesano's.
"Rumors are all we have heard over here [at City Hall]," he said. "People have said the Comptroller came in and shut them down after several previous attempts to collect money, but when something like that happens the Comptroller does not come through us even as a courtesy. I have no previous knowledge of [Paesano's] being shut down prior to this event."
Clayton expressed optimism for the future of the property.
"There is definitely a market for an Italian place in town," he said. "We as the city highly encourage business."
The owner of the restaurant when it was shut down is not known, nor is any knowledge regarding a connection to the Paesano's in Greenville. Communication with the restaurant is currently unavailable.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Good Dental Care: Make It Safe
- Gran promesa latina lanza línea de moda para el...
- Cystic Fibrosis Breakthrough for Patients With Fungal...
- Millennials and Health Care
- Is Your Christmas Tree Up to the Task?
- Save Time and Money With a Mail-Order Pharmacy
- How to Store Your Warm Weather Gear for Winter Hibernation
- 5 Ways to Raise Capital and Start a Business
- Have Chronic Pain? Here's a Safer Alternative to Opioids
- Military Training Happens Virtually in Florida