Hall of Fame member Newsome passes away
A&M-Commerce alumnus and athletics Hall of Famer Dr. Ron Newsome has died at the age of 68. He passed away in his home on Tuesday, April 17.
Newsome had been the voice of Tarleton State sports for the previous 15 years, earning him the nickname "Sports Doctor." He joined the faculty at Tarleton in 1983 as a professor and assistant football coach and retired from those roles in 2008.
He came to East Texas State University in 1961 and earned his bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in education before beginning his coaching career as an assistant in the Lions' 1972 national championship team. Newsome also served as the president of the Athletic Association and chaired the Hall of Fame Committee.
"We are extremely saddened by the loss of Dr. Ron Newsome," A&M-Commerce Athletic Director Carlton Cooper said in a press release. "Ron was extremely passionate about the Lions and played an immeasurable role in helping keep the spirit of Old E.T. alive. He touched the lives of many throughout his long association with the university and will be greatly missed."
Newsome was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in 2005. He remained connected to A&M-Commerce over the years, setting up an e-mailing list so former East Texas athletes and coaches could stay connected and establishing five scholarships to recognize student-athletes.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy