Hall of Fame member Newsome passes away
A&M-Commerce alumnus and athletics Hall of Famer Dr. Ron Newsome has died at the age of 68. He passed away in his home on Tuesday, April 17.
Newsome had been the voice of Tarleton State sports for the previous 15 years, earning him the nickname "Sports Doctor." He joined the faculty at Tarleton in 1983 as a professor and assistant football coach and retired from those roles in 2008.
He came to East Texas State University in 1961 and earned his bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in education before beginning his coaching career as an assistant in the Lions' 1972 national championship team. Newsome also served as the president of the Athletic Association and chaired the Hall of Fame Committee.
"We are extremely saddened by the loss of Dr. Ron Newsome," A&M-Commerce Athletic Director Carlton Cooper said in a press release. "Ron was extremely passionate about the Lions and played an immeasurable role in helping keep the spirit of Old E.T. alive. He touched the lives of many throughout his long association with the university and will be greatly missed."
Newsome was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in 2005. He remained connected to A&M-Commerce over the years, setting up an e-mailing list so former East Texas athletes and coaches could stay connected and establishing five scholarships to recognize student-athletes.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities