Hall of Fame member Newsome passes away
A&M-Commerce alumnus and athletics Hall of Famer Dr. Ron Newsome has died at the age of 68. He passed away in his home on Tuesday, April 17.
Newsome had been the voice of Tarleton State sports for the previous 15 years, earning him the nickname "Sports Doctor." He joined the faculty at Tarleton in 1983 as a professor and assistant football coach and retired from those roles in 2008.
He came to East Texas State University in 1961 and earned his bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in education before beginning his coaching career as an assistant in the Lions' 1972 national championship team. Newsome also served as the president of the Athletic Association and chaired the Hall of Fame Committee.
"We are extremely saddened by the loss of Dr. Ron Newsome," A&M-Commerce Athletic Director Carlton Cooper said in a press release. "Ron was extremely passionate about the Lions and played an immeasurable role in helping keep the spirit of Old E.T. alive. He touched the lives of many throughout his long association with the university and will be greatly missed."
Newsome was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in 2005. He remained connected to A&M-Commerce over the years, setting up an e-mailing list so former East Texas athletes and coaches could stay connected and establishing five scholarships to recognize student-athletes.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections