'Safe House' yields high energy complexity
Going into any movie that has Denzel Washington or Ryan Reynolds, you know it's going to be good. When you put these actors together on the screen, you get a type of amazement that can't really be explained. Such is the case with "Safe House".
The movie follows Reynolds' character Matt Weston, an overlooked and underestimated CIA-operative whose job is literally to sit around at a secret location all day in case the CIA sends someone there. Things become interesting when Weston is informed that he will be having a guest; Washington's character Tobin Frost. We quickly learn that Frost is a rogue agent who's pretty much wanted by every major government. From the moment he gets into the safe house things get complicated.
I'm not going to say much about what goes on during the movie but I was extremely impressed with the storyline and the acting throughout the movie. It was one serious rollercoaster ride of excitement throughout the film, leaving me asking, "what just happened" and then trying to figure out how the movie would carry on afterwards.
The twists and turns in this film never seem to stop as they progress through the minutes. Lies upon lies make this a story that really requires some thinking. They didn't really explain why Frost decided to turn himself in to begin with, but you quickly forget that part of the story after people start getting killed.
The acting in the films was great, which is expected given the star-studded cast. Reynolds did a great job as the lead role, and kept things believable. I will say that Washington did a great job too but he seemed very distant throughout much of the film. Maybe it was just the CIA persona but it was difficult to make much of an emotional connection with his character. The few times they did give any insight to his personal life were quickly interrupted by gunshots.
If there's one thing I learned from this movie is that you cannot trust anybody involved with the CIA. After watching Weston run all over the city and get shot at by pretty much everyone he talks to, I start to feel bad for him. He seriously can't catch a break in this film. He goes from a mundane life with no real excitement from his job to getting shot at, stabbed, beat up by everybody, and having to kill people in what's basically a business week.
I will say that I do wish that they had expanded on the plot a little more to create depth in some of the characters, but many of them didn't live long enough to tell their stories. Needless to say, I'll be going to see this movie again. But if I go missing for a while its because I've decided to create a safe house of my own, pretend to be a CIA-operative, get shot at by a lot of people, kill another operative, and save up about $6,000 to give to my girlfriend (who I've lied to about everything) so she can relocate and I'll catch up with her in about a week. Challenge accepted.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists