Honors society to host chili fundraiser
The Alpha Chi National Honors Society is hosting a chili and soup dinner from 5:30 pm to 8 pm on Tuesday, Dec. 6. The event will take place in the game room, media room, and offices of the Prairie Crossing apartments, which are located on the corner of Lee Street and Monroe Street.
Alpha Chi President Bailey Young shared said they have been trying to get more involved with the honors organization. They participated in trick or treating on the square for Halloween to show that they value community involvement.
"We're trying to get it more active on campus as well," Young said.
Young said that the chili and soup is a way of reaching out to students before school gets busy and stressful in the upcoming week. The event is open to everyone including students, staff, and community members.
"We wanted to have a home-cooked meal before finals week," she said.
In addition to the chili, soup, cornbread, crackers, and desserts, Alpha Chi will also set up various activities for guests to enjoy. They will have pool tables, foosball tables, and board games as well as a room set up for a movie. Another room will be strictly a study room for students who want to attend but need a quiet atmosphere to continue their studies.
Alpha Chi currently has about 200 active members, and around 120 of those were inducted this year alone.
Seven chilies and soups along with the desserts will be homemade by various Alpha Chi members.
Tickets are on sale ahead of time for $2 and will cost $3 at the door. The proceeds made from the event will go toward the Alpha Chi Honors Society and future events.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program