Students go 'island' hopping at Caribbean Night
On Tuesday night, April 10, students got the chance to experience island culture while enjoying good food and fun activities at Caribbean Night.
The event, which was put on by the Caribbean Student Association, drew quite a crowd to the Morris Recreation Center. Students arrived to find the gymnasium of the MRC decorated with colorful banners and a DJ playing music with a Caribbean kick to it. Students were treated to spicy island-esque foods, but before they could get them they were directed to walk around a series of "islands" which were tables set up with displays that presented a short look into the culture of various islands throughout the Caribbean.
"It was cool going around the islands. You could read a little bit about the island, maybe play a game or two," Wahaj Mandavia said. "I thought it was a nice way to experience the eye-opening culture."
Caribbean Night offered a few activities for students to participate in. There was an area where some students were doing double-dutch jump rope, a place where students could have their pictures taken while wearing island clothes, and there was a space that several students decided to turn into an impromptu dance floor. There was also a stage where an island-themed fashion show took place, featuring students sporting swimwear.
Most students seemed to be having a good time at Caribbean Night.
"I am having a lot of fun," Navid Rivas said. "I really liked the chicken, and I enjoyed the fashion show too. I also like that they're raffling stuff out, even though I haven't won anything yet."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS