Students go 'island' hopping at Caribbean Night
On Tuesday night, April 10, students got the chance to experience island culture while enjoying good food and fun activities at Caribbean Night.
The event, which was put on by the Caribbean Student Association, drew quite a crowd to the Morris Recreation Center. Students arrived to find the gymnasium of the MRC decorated with colorful banners and a DJ playing music with a Caribbean kick to it. Students were treated to spicy island-esque foods, but before they could get them they were directed to walk around a series of "islands" which were tables set up with displays that presented a short look into the culture of various islands throughout the Caribbean.
"It was cool going around the islands. You could read a little bit about the island, maybe play a game or two," Wahaj Mandavia said. "I thought it was a nice way to experience the eye-opening culture."
Caribbean Night offered a few activities for students to participate in. There was an area where some students were doing double-dutch jump rope, a place where students could have their pictures taken while wearing island clothes, and there was a space that several students decided to turn into an impromptu dance floor. There was also a stage where an island-themed fashion show took place, featuring students sporting swimwear.
Most students seemed to be having a good time at Caribbean Night.
"I am having a lot of fun," Navid Rivas said. "I really liked the chicken, and I enjoyed the fashion show too. I also like that they're raffling stuff out, even though I haven't won anything yet."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Peace of Mind in Retirement
- Florida Remains Launch Pad to Space Thanks to Private Firms
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain