Alumnus utilizes skills to give back to hometown
Obtaining a quality primary education is a necessary step for any individual wishing to advance in life. Children in the rural Indian village of Mor Karima lack some of the basics necessary to obtain an education, which is why former Texas A&M University-Commerce student Inderjit Singh started a project to help fund the school.
"I was born in a small village called Mor Karima in the district of Ludhiana in India," Singh said. "Most of the rural parts of India have government funded schools and the standards are very poor in these schools. Villages like Mor Karima are in the same boat. The schools lack basic things for students like desks, school supplies, clean water, etc."
Singh recognizes the value of a primary education.
"Since primary education is a very important part for the development of a child, I started working on the project to help the school so that all the children at this school can learn in a good environment," he said."
Singh, who graduated from A&M-Commerce in 2008 with an MBA, created an iPhone and Android application via his company, Beat and Boom, that features music from South Asian artists.
"I was always interested in Indian music after moving to United States and wanted to help school by doing something," he said. "I started working with South Asian artists living abroad and informed them about my project. The response was positive, so I started working on developing [the app]."
All of the proceeds from sales of the application will go to funding the school.
"The initial target is to raise $5,000 to purchase school desks, school supplies and uniforms," Singh said.
Singh was inspired to begin the project by his grandmother.
"My grandmother passed away in December 2010 and that is when I visited the school," he said. "She was at my graduation and told me that I should help out the school in my village."
One of Singh's goals is to encourage others to participate in projects like his own.
"Hopefully my work will inspire other people to do the same thing at the micro level," he said. "Education can solve poverty, corruption and other social problems."
Students interested in participating in the project can directly download the application from the iPhone and Android app stores, donate through PayPal to email@example.com or spread the word through facebook.com/beatandboom.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership