Student struck by car at Whitley crosswalk
A student struck by a car at the Whitley crosswalk was released from hospital and only suffered minor injuries, according to a Commerce Police Department report.
The incident happened last Friday evening on Culver street. Witnesses said the student ran through the crosswalk after exiting Whitley. He crossed three lanes of traffic but was struck by a vehicle in the inside westbound lane. The vehicle reportedly entered the crosswalk before the lights that signal a pedestrian is crossing even came on.
The student was taken to Hunt Regional Community Hospital in Commerce where he was treated for muscle injuries.
Crosswalks along Highway 24/50 and Culver have both undergone renovations in the past. Lights were installed before motion sensors and sensor pads were placed at the crosswalk in front of Whitley. Signs also direct students to remain cautious, as vehicles will not always stop. There have also been reports suggesting vehicles speed through crosswalks after the lights are activated by students wanting to cross the street.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program