University Print Shop to close
The University Print Shop will permanently close its doors on May 31, 2010 because of economic concerns.
An e-mail sent to faculty and staff by Assistant Vice President for Business Rex Gidden on March 25 stated the print shop would close. The notice was designed to prepare faculty and staff for the closing, and to inform them of whom to contact for future printing needs.
According to the e-mail, "The purpose of this notice is to advise departments for scheduling and planning. All print jobs after May 31 will be outsourced to external printers. Jobs to be outsourced will be bid on as required by purchasing rules and regulations. Departments should allow adequate lead time for the bid process as well as for print time."
Director of the Printing, Copy and Postal Services Blake Shaw said he is disappointed with the changes, but is eager to begin his new tasks.
He said he has seen many changes in the printing programs during his time on campus.
"Printing Services moved into the building that currently houses the One Stop Shop in 1978 (later named the Staley McBrayer Instructional Printing Facility)," Shaw said. "We moved to the old MSC annex (former bookstore location) in June 2009."
Shaw said the print shop has had several workers retire over the years, and currently staffs four employees in printing services and two in copy and postal services.
Manager of the Digital Copy Center Carolyn Nitson graduated from East Texas State University in 1981 with a printing degree. She has been an employee of the university since then, and is sad to see the print shop close.
"We have to be ready for change," she said.
There are four student workers who assist the facility.
Currently, little to no work is conducted in the print shop as it is prepared for closure.
"We have two production press operators, one composition and typesetting worker, and myself," Shaw said. "The length of time our staff has spent working together certainly makes the shop closure hard on us all."
Shaw said he will still be in charge of handling campus printing needs after the print shop closes, though at a different location.
"Blake will be moving to the Purchasing Department and will continue oversight of Composition Services, the Digital Copy Center, and Campus Postal Services," Gidden said in his e-mail. "Debbie Raney will be available to handle print jobs requiring or needing composition work and those services will be billed separately from the printing costs."
The copy center and post office will continue to provide their current services.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The East Texan News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE EAST TEXAN NEWS
- 'Expendables 2' epitomizes dumb but fun action
- 'The Bourne Legacy' disappoints with same old thrills
- Tasteless 'Total Recall' remake leaves audiences underwhelmed
- Actor chemistry saves 'The Watch' from being boring waste
- Batman goes out strong in final 'Dark Knight' film
- 'Ted' marks promising film career for McFarlane
- Stylistic choices sink 'Savages'
RECENT THE EAST TEXAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards